Social Contract Theory
- Social contract is the view that persons’ moral and/or political obligations are dependent upon a contract or agreement among them to form the society in which they live.
- Hobbes said that the lives of individuals were solitary , poor , nasty, brutish, and he stays this is why we should be ruled by a monarchy.
- Hobbes believed that the law should be controlled by an absolute ruler- such as a king or queen.
- Thomas said that without political order and law it would be chaos and there would be what he called bellum omnium contro omnes.
- To prevent this from happening he said that the free men should set up a political community through a social contract so they can be able to have a ruler that can make decisions that benefits everybody.
- Thomas thinks that the anarchy type of government is the best because he believes that the people are not obligated to give their opinion on who and how the government should run.
- If people were to give their opinion on how the government should run it would only be about what is in their interests.
- Thomas says that the only people that is capable of running a government as a king or queen, they would have to be able to make decisions that would help the entire society as a whole.