Lord slaying the Leviathan, sea monster
- Hobbes published his book Leviathan in 1651
- Leviathan rigorously argues that civil peace and social unity are best achieved by the establishment of a commonwealth through social contract.
- Leviathan comes from the biblical sea monster
Leviathan the fast-moving serpent; he will kill the sea monster"
- Isaiah 27:1
- The book was broken up into four parts
- He wrote that people were naturally wicked and could not be trusted to govern a nation.
- He stated that absolute power was the only form of government that would work.